Support a foreign team - Cork City FC

• Ok so here it is, maybe nobody is interested but for some people who like to keep an eye out for a foreign team. I give you Cork City FC..

Formed in 1984 Cork City are based in the south of Ireland. In November 2009 a high court injunction disbanded Cork City and the city of Cork was left without a club and a group of supporters "FORAS" took over the club. In March 2010 (Summer football in Ireland - March to November season) now playing in the 2nd tier of Irish football the club played their first game under supporter ownership with 13 players and drew 1-1 away to Derry City. Since then we have won the 1st division title (Coming from 10 points behind) finished 2nd in the Premier Division the last two years (Dundalk champions) and cup finalists last year (Dundalk winners).

Former famous players include Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Shane Long (Southampton), David Meyler (Hull City), Damien Delaney (Crystal Palace) and Trevor Brooking (ex West Ham).
    Cork City play in Green, White and Red, the club have no affiliation politically. The club play their games in Turner's Cross Stadium with a capacity of 7,000 (All seater all covered)
    We have won 2 league titles (1993 and 2005) 2 FAI Cups (1998, 2007). Some big results were in Europe. We drew 1-1 with FC Bayern Munich in 1992, Beat Malmo FF 4-1 in 2005 and this year knocked out Linfield and BK Hacken in the Europa League.

Last night City beat Finn Harps 2-0 away and City are now 4 points behind Dundalk with 9 games to go.

(Fan Forum)

(Mini documentary from COPA90)

Twitter @KobeDesigns

Give him a ball & a yard of grass, he'll give you a move with perfect pass. Give him a ball & a yard of space, he'll give you a move with godly grace!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Irish Unioner ()

• Thanks for spreading the word. Ryanair goes diretly from London/Stansted to Cork (unfortunately, no connections to Germany), I probably have a look when exploring Ireland next time. I might approach you in advance though ;)

• Cork used to fly direct to Berlin about ten years ago but I believe they flight will be back on in 2017.
    You can fly to Dublin via Tegel and Schoenefeld.
    Shamrock Rovers v Cork City is always a tasty game :D

Twitter @KobeDesigns

Give him a ball & a yard of grass, he'll give you a move with perfect pass. Give him a ball & a yard of space, he'll give you a move with godly grace!

• Cork used to fly direct to Berlin about ten years ago but I believe they flight will be back on in 2017.
    You can fly to Dublin via Tegel and Schoenefeld.
    Shamrock Rovers v Cork City is always a tasty game :D

Too late, as you mayyyy know, they played already against each other :) I am awaiting the fixtures for the next year and will try to have a glance. Any other good advices for matches to see at the home ground?

If I visit Dublin again, I would love (and highly recommend) to see another GAA final in the Croke Park. It was the best spectator experience ever, seeing the supporters mixed on the stands, no issues at all, and eventually having a beer together because "Ireland won" (I was supporting Galway because of my hosts, they lost against Roscommon, must be something like 15 years ago). Those were the days, it used to be similar at our ground (without the Ireland bit of course ;) )

• Reklame:
  • GAA finals are an experience. 80,000 people watching "Stick fighting" :D
    I would recommend to go see Cork City, Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians play. Thats about it in a nutshell.
    Cork City have by far the biggest fan base in the country followed by Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk (Dundalk is an absolute shit hole, I wouldnt wish it upon a BFC or Hertha fan)

Irish football is safe, family orientated and good craic. Very rarely trouble, plenty of beer and craic.

For anyone interested in seeing what GAA is, here is Hurling, its worth a watch

Twitter @KobeDesigns

• Hurling is nuts, I dont personally like what the GAA stand for (Very closed organisation and refuse to join with Rugby and Football) but Hurling the fastest field sport in the world is a crazy sport

Twitter @KobeDesigns

• UPDATE: Dundalk 1 Shamrock Rovers 1

Dundalk now 5 points clear and Cork City in second place have a game in hand. 9 games to go! Dundalk v Cork City to be played!

TOP 6 in League

Team PLD PTS GD Games to Play
    1. Dundalk 25 59 +38 8
    2. Cork City 24 54 +32 9
    3. Derry City 27 49 +16 6
    4. Shamrock Rovers 27 47 +12 6
    5. Sligo Rovers 26 37 -1 7
    6. Bohemians 27 30 -5 6

Twitter @KobeDesigns